Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring Break Halftime

Well, SVN r7 and r8 just went in (I just love developing on two machines simultaneously).  So far this Spring Break, I've managed to add a manual (LOL), fix a large number of undocumented bugs, improve the control systems of both the submarine and the torpedo a lot, added a screenshot feature, etc, etc.

The PID tuner that I mentioned previously worked out incredibly well. It still takes some tweaking to figure out what the environment is, and the PIDTune UI could be improved, but it is infinitely better than the PIDLS (PID Learning Service) stuff. PIDLS gave us SVN r1-6, which sucks. PIDTune, however, is in r7, and it took a mere two days to write the program and tune both object's rudders. A little bit of overshoot here and there, but nothing major.

Joy to the world - We have an actual map! Well, more actual, at any rate. Here's a land mask for it (white is land, black is water):

Did I mention that I added a screenshot feature? The funny thing is that it's been there all along, but it's just been commented. It used to be that all rendering went into a series of screenshots. Now just press the 's' key, it'll save it into ./Screenshots. Here's a picture of the new and improved UI:
Notice the speed-o-meter just to the left of the pitch gauge. That's the only change.

Halfway through Spring Break!!!!!!!!!! :'(

2 comments:

  1. The new version compiles on my system (ubuntu 10.10) just fine. I don't remember noticing the sonar sweep before -- very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that it compiled fine.

    The SONAR sweep has actually been updated a little bit - In theory it now does a simple terrain raycasting check so that you can hide behind the terrain. Other than that, it's been there for a few revisions.

    ReplyDelete